Vocalist.org archive

From:  mikebarb@b...
mikebarb@b...
Date:  Wed Apr 4, 2001  2:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] composers and Search Engines

> << Actually, the "best" search engine is the Meta Engine at
> Dogpile.com,
> which actually searches using about 15 of the most popular search
> engines. >>

I'm a librarian. Yesterday, the library staff all got a pins "Ask a
Librarian. Librarians are the BEST search engines."

Seriously, I do wonder about the quality of information on the net.
Standard reference books are reviewed and evaluated. On Opera-L, I
remember another librarian (perhaps the moderator) writing the Grove's
[Dictionary of Opera] was more trustworthy than [International...] (I
forget the exact title of the "International..." work, but my library
has both). That said, the later is probably better researched many
things on the net.

Good news though, the New Grove's Music Encyclopedia (not the operatic
dictionary, but the monster encyclopedia) is giving out 24-hour, free
trials at http://www.grovereference.com/trial.htm I recommend it.
Tosti should be in this larger work. Haven't tried the the free trials,
and I can't guarantee that Tosti is in it, but I would be very surprised
if he weren't.

Barbara Roberts, Asst. Library Director
mikebarb@n...
mikebarb@n...