Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Wed Apr 4, 2001  12:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Muscle Memory

Lloyd says:
>A lot of deference is given today to "muscle memory". The usual
>meaning of this term is in reference to the muscle's ability to
>replicate a movement or action with precision after being trained to
>do so. The implication is that the muscle is better left to its own
>devices and training for "muscle memory" is the most positive and
>sure way of obtaining consistent and reliable results. The weakness
>of this concept is the reality that muscles are the actors of our
>minds desires. . . .

As always, an insightful comment. Indeed I might only add that it is the
cerebellum that learns the routines that makes us able to speak, play an
instrument, perform athletically, or sing. There are, of course, a myriad
of upper motor neuron circuits that act on a muscle to alter and refine the
performance. The brain monitors the process with a combination of auditory
and kinesthetic feedback. As most voice teacher admonish their students
"Do NOT listen to yourself as you sing! You cannot hear what you are
really doing." One must have a sense of feel for the production that will
override that urge to drive the voice when the acoustic situation provides
little feedback. If you allow it, the cerebellum will respond to the lack
of auditory input. You will find yourself pushing away unless you have
developed the skill to maintain your production in the face of virtual
auditory void. That is where those other upper neuron circuits come into
play and will inhibit the urge to blast. How the concept of muscle memory
fits into this context is strictly a matter of personal definition of what
constitutes muscle memory.

Just stuff from my Motor Speech Disorders course.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

Greypins@a...Greypins@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10822 Re: Muscle Memory Greypins@a...   Wed  4/4/2001   5 KB
10857 Re: Muscle Memory michael.chesebro   Thu  4/5/2001   3 KB
10859 Re: Muscle Memory Greypins@a...   Thu  4/5/2001   3 KB

emusic.com