Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Tue Apr 3, 2001  11:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: opera vs. lieder

In a message dated 4/3/01 8:28:42 PM, ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< the comparison between Amerling and Tebaldi was one of
tone quality and richness, not of weight necessarily >>

Oh come on, Isabel! Tebaldi's is a HUGE spinto voice, Ameling's is a light
lyric. Two very different animals (I happen to love BOTH!). And Tebaldi sang
Italian opera--which by nature requires more slancio to the singing to get
over the orchestra and fill a big hall.

I assure you, Ameling's voice did not sound at all thin in the concert hall.
The voice did diminish in the last few years of her career--but by that time
she was past 60. We should all do so well!

And she was fully capable of an operatic sound, and was nothing short of
superb singing Mozart arias. She would have sung Susanna to Tebaldi's
Contessa, but vocally she had the goods. Focusing on art songs and oratorio
was an artistic choice, not a result of a deficient voice or technique. Just
try singing Gretchen am Spinnradde or Die Junge Nonne without a rock-solid tec
hnique!

<<The ratio of opera to
lieder is rarely 50-50, and I was wondering why.>>

The really big money (and the serious glamor, media hype, raging fanatical
fans, etc.) is in opera, not art song. Many agents won't even consider
managing anyone who doesn't sing opera. It's very difficult to fill a hall
for a song recital, even in New York. And nobody underwrites recitals the way
they do opera productions.

<<Fabulous exponants of delicate shading and color in the art
song (Fischer-Dieskau is the most obvious example) just don't have that
squillo thrust that makes operatic vocalism so satisfying. >>

I'm not a huge Fleming fan, but she certainly is a opera singer and
definitely is an exponent of delicate shading and color over squillo.
Schwartzkopf too, in my opinion.
These women have major operatic careers in major houses. Millions of people
find their "operatic vocalism" highly satisfying.

Even when singing with squillo and thrust, a small voice is a small voice.
Susanna and Zerlina are not Tosca or Turandot--there's no need for a great
deal of thrust to sing these roles. It would be inappropriate for both the
music and the character.

Judy

emusic.com