Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Apr 23, 2000  3:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Unprofessional Guest Artist

Laura Sharp wrote:

> I feel the need to rant, briefly, about the rude, unprofessional lout of a
> baritone who was engaged to solo with our choir in our Good Friday
> performance of the Faure Requiem.

I hope that made you feel a little better!! What a jerk! I assume he's new to
town, or
he'd already have been on everyone's black list!!!

I had a similar experience some years ago, though this one was a young singer,
a community
college student, who'd been accepted as a transfer student into what she
thought was a
big-time college music program, and thought she was hot stuff (she wasn't bad
for a singer
her age, but nothing special). She had a solo in our combined chorus concert
(she was
from the other choir), was incredibly unprepared (she got her solo because the
rest of the
soloists in the work were singers from my choir), but during dress rehearsal
proceeded to
tell our highly experienced professional accompanist in front of everyone what
the
accompanist was doing wrong (she also made a few similar comments during the
rehearsal to
the conductor, the director of my choir)! The accompanist restrained herself
from
retorting during the rehearsal. But she had a serious tete-a-tete with the
singer after
the rehearsal (she told a few of us later that this girl needed a mother-like
talking
to!). The girl was much more restrained from then forward.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1082 Re: Unprofessional Guest Artist (amend) Laura Sharp   Sun  4/23/2000   2 KB

emusic.com