Vocalist.org archive

From:  sarah.mclean@h...
sarah.mclean@h...
Date:  Mon Apr 2, 2001  2:42 am
Subject:  pregnancy and the voice

I haven't been to this list in years! Like 7 or 8! Wow. I've gotten
married and had 2 kids in that time, which brings me to my question...
After the birth of my daughter in Sept. 2000, My voice went wacko -
breathy and skipping out and lower in pitch - I sounded like a boy
going through puberty! I knwo this was due to the prego hormones, but
7 months later things are a little better, but not much. My phonation
doesn't skip out as much , but my voice still fatigues easily and I
used to be soprano, now I'm a tenor! Seriously! I can comfortably
sing in the octave below middle c and lower! and I don't have
anything much above an a or b above middle c.

Here's the thing, I only sing what I guess would be called
recreationally now - I sing in church and in choirs, etc, but that
doesn't make it any less frustrating. I am clasically trained with a
Bmus (which seems ages ago now) and I'm afraid to start in on
vocalises and such for fear of damaging anything because everything
is so out of wack.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to talk with my doctor
this week and perhaps ask to see a laryngologist. Am I just impatient
in thinking this should be at least starting to clear up by now? Has
this happened to anyone else? I'd really appreciate any feedback!

Sarah

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10779 Re: pregnancy and the voice Edna Huelsenbeck   Mon  4/2/2001   4 KB

emusic.com