Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Apr 1, 2001  4:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing Louder

In a message dated 3/31/2001 11:03:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dolphin_aura@y... writes:
dolphin_aura@y... writes:

<< I do have a break when I am singing in that
kind of grey zone, where I am going from my middle to
high voice also. >>

dolphin,

breaks, from an execution point of view, tend to be caused by trying to
stay in a 'voice' too long. if you examine any instrument (you could see
this on a piano very easily), from bottom to top, or vice versa, the timbre
of the instrument is constantly changing rather than staying the same. many
singers get it confused when they try to keep doing the same thing in order
to avoid a break. (a break is really just a sudden contrast between one
usage and another.) so, if you are singing a scale up from the bottom, for
example, in order to affect a gradual change, as in the piano, you would have
to start changing over to whatever you do next and take longer to do so in
order to get rid of a break. getting rid of breaks allows you to use
whatever part of your voice is strongest for that range.

different styles have different requirements. if you are under the
impression that you should sing in 'head' voice in your low range to satisfy
the needs of a particular style (hypothetical), you will not have the ability
to sing as loud as you could in 'chest' voice in that range. that would
mean there would be some music where you might have to chose being heard over
being tasteful. and, of course, if no one can hear you, there's no point
being tasteful.

mike

emusic.com