Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 29, 2001  2:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mozart in falsetto/ how styles change (was: grumpy mozartians)

In a message dated 3/28/01 11:03:12 PM, lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< Or perhaps you could recognize that the statement meant that castrati
could do what women could do, only better. There is nothing in the
statement the implies that women could not sing a tone with ring. >>

Lloyd,

That's what you meant, I understand. It's not what you actually said--but I'm
really not interested in beating the horse any further.

The reason that I took you to task was that I consider you one of the best
informed contributors to the list, and I did not want either a
mis-interpretation or misunderstanding to promote the idea that there were no
women singers with ringing voices at the time of the castrati.

Obviously, we both agree that there were fine, accomplished women singers at
the time. I'm satisfied with that.

Peace!

Judy

emusic.com