Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Wed Mar 28, 2001  12:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] South Pacific

I, too, had my doubts about Glenn Close, but I thought she managed to
credibly portray Nellis Forbush, adapting the requirements of the role
around her own personality...and it worked. It was rather like seeing Te
Kanawa in Verdi: she's really a Mozart/Strauss temperament, but still a
credible singer in Otello and Boccanegra.

As to her portrayal of 'a naive, inexperienced, bubbly small-town girl
with ingrained prejudices she's never thought about before', I can assure
you that bigot come in all size, shapes, colors, and ages. There are
still many adults who consider themselves enlightened, but would cringe if
their teenage daughter chose to date a young man of a different racial
background. Too bad you didn't see Ms. Close. I thought her approach to
this was very credible. Too bad there was NO chemistry between her Nellie
and de Becque...

Mark Montgomery

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Margaret Harrison wrote:

> admire Glenn Close as an actress, I could not envision her
> as Nellie Forbush for too many reasons, starting with her
> strong, mature persona. I could never imagine her being able
> to convince me as being a naive, inexperienced, bubbly
> small-town girl with ingrained prejudices she's never
> thought about before.

emusic.com