Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Sat Apr 22, 2000  4:02 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Low Voices Belting? (was "Men...")

At 01:21 PM 4/21/00 -0500, you wrote:

What is your definition of this? Loft register:

It could be equated with head voice, however, I don't know what you hear as head voice. I can say this, when one is observing the vocal folds during phonation and the subject shifts from the habitual speech mode to the more heady sounding loft register, the vocal folds can be seen to go from a posture of short glottis using about 2/3 of the length of the fold to a full glottis vibratory pattern. Long-story-short: the impact of the folds against each other is distributed over a longer area. You can easily see the longevity effect created by using the loft production. I would suspect that any "mix" would be using the longer (hence healthier) vocal glottic posture.

Does that help?
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 714/596-3344

emusic.com