Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Tue Mar 27, 2001  7:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] South Pacific

I became less "Enchanted" as the evening progressed (pun deeply
intended). The opening (Nothin like a dame) was great ensemble work
with even the solo bits being sung well and acted well. Glen Close did
a reasonably good job but seemed a little distant in places.
Unfortunately the rest of the singing went sharply downhill: Bloody Mary
a huge dissapointment, Emile not even interesting, and Harry Conick (who
I like most of the time) did such a light-weight jazz version of
"carefully taught" that I almost wanted to cry. I really liked the
production in many ways, but why o why couldn't the use better voices........
--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

emusic.com