Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Tue Mar 27, 2001  2:21 am
Subject:  Re: Contralto Fachs Was: a tenor who is grumpy with mozart

In a message dated 3/26/2001 4:19:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dalila@R... writes:

> Just lumping all contraltos together in one overall fach makes as much sense
> as lumping all sopranos together in one overal fach, instead of making the
> various distinctions between leggero, lyric, spinto, dramatic, etc. Just

True. I always assumed it was because there just isn't enough rep for
contralto to warrant that.
I've always been irritated that folks would look askance at me calling myself
a spinto mezzo, which is what I sound like. I take to calling myself a "full
lyric" instead.
Also, I just got the score for Argento's Miss Havisham's Fire, and in the
score the role I am assigned is designated "Alto", not "Contralto". I thought
you all would be interested in that in light of our recent discussion of
those two terms.
TinaO

emusic.com