Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Mar 26, 2001  9:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] a tenor who is grumpy with mozart

I don't just want an official contralto fach. I want an official lyric
contralto fach and an official dramatic contralto fach. My point is that
it's ridiculous for there to be official recognition of different
gradations of all the other voice types (except countertenor), but not of
contraltos - when the only thing that distinguishes a contralto is her
lower passagios and comfortable tessitura. Just lumping all contraltos
together in one overall fach makes as much sense as lumping all sopranos
together in one overal fach, instead of making the various distinctions
between leggero, lyric, spinto, dramatic, etc. Just because we sing lower
doesn't mean we don't come in different "flavours".

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html