Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Mon Mar 26, 2001  4:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] a tenor who is grumpy with mozart

In a message dated 3/25/01 8:58:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, dalila@R...
writes:

<< So why
should the contralto equivalent of a Brunnhilde be expected to sing the
contralto equivalent of "Una voce poco fa"? >>

Of course, it's thoroughly illogical. This is a corollary of the
contralto-as-a-fach discussion we had a month or so ago. (Has it been two
months?? Tempus fugit!!!) The reason lies in the fact that most people
simply do not know where to draw the line between mezzo and contralto. (I
mean composers, singers, opera producers, audiences.) And, yes, maybe there
should be an official fach of contralto. Didn't it come out in the former
mentioned discussion that "mezzo" was not a separate designation when a lot
of the "mezzo" literature was penned? Maybe that is also true of contralto,
and our system has yet to recognize it as a distinct designation.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10621 Re: a tenor who is grumpy with mozart Karen Mercedes   Mon  3/26/2001   3 KB

emusic.com