Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  9:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Low Voices Belting? (was "Men...")

On 21 Apr 2000, michael.chesebro wrote:

>When women are in belting mode, they are phonating without the use
>of the loft register. The full length of the vocal folds are not in
>use when the loft register is not engaged. This same structural
>posture occurs in the male voice. Whether or not that is perceived
>by the listener as belting is another matter.

Michael:

This same mention of not using the full length of the vocal folds in
certain ranges or registers has been mentioned many time before on
this list. It is sometime mentioned as a kind of damping of the
vocal folds. Because of confusion about when, and if, this occurs in
all voices, I would be most interested and appreciative if you can
point me toward some research studies that define this phenomenon in
more detail.

Thanks for your help.

Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy