Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Sun Mar 25, 2001  8:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: a tenor who is grumpy with mozart

Lloyd Hanson wrote:
[...]But only special tenors seem able to make Mozart sound like tenor
music, with some exceptions. Consequently it is often sung today in
a half-baked manner with a tone quality that is excessively light and
without any kind of basic male heft. Yet, his roles are not for this
kind of personality. There is a dichotomy here that is seldom
addressed and only when it is, (Wunderlich?) do we hear the voice
quality that the role needs.[...]

Dear Lloyd and co vocalisters,

Here I completely agree. A year ago I went to a Zauberflöte, where Tamino
sounded like he was Pamino's baby-brother, instead of a brave young man, that
is very seriously in love. Not to mention the tenors, that sound like they
would prefer Papageno over Pamino:) But also in other Mozart opera's a tenor
that is not too light, but has evened out his passagio perfectly, makes the
opera both musically and dramatically complete. Of course, on recordings
extremely light tenors can be lifted to a normal level, but on stage they
cannot (unless you use this singer's doping, the microphone), and the tone
colour stays problematic with tenorino's or English tenors.

Yet the question is, why Wunderlich succeeded, where (most) others fail.
Wunderlich was praised for stopping the wave of 'micro Mozart tenors', so
performing Mozart was then as problematic as it is today. Was his voice so
completely different from other tenors? Better, yes, but so much better, that
he was the only one who could do it this way? I think it had mainly to do with
the way he was trained, which also explains his 'Schmelz'. His teacher never
always avoided talking about the passagio, because she feared this might this
would cause a psychological barrier for a singer. And when you listen to
Wunderlich, you hear an even quality of tone throughout his complete range. He
also does hardly cover, if at all, and has no problems singing an [i] sounding
like an [i] on an a4 flat, e.g. It has partly to do with his Pfälzisches
dialect, that made him change the vowels slightly in a natural way. But another
fact is, that Wunderlich did not try to sound like an Italian tenor. Well, I
should say: he did not try, except for one time, but after that the could not
sing for three weeks (I think it was after hearing Guiseppe di Stefenao, which
gave Wunderlich the bad idea to imitate him). So in my opinion the ideal Mozart
tenor is a quite normal, good, lyrical tenor, but with a technique that allows
him to sing the passagio (and higher-) notes in a very natural, which means:
neither verismatic, i.c. heavily covering, nor 'English-tenoral' way.

Where I don't agree, is on the fact that Mozart did not know how to write for
tenors. Given the fact, that Mozart was seen as an extremely intelligent man,
maybe even the most intelligent man of his times, the fact that he had a tenor
voice himself, that he once wrote an aria in such a way, that a certain soprano
who had the habit of moving her head up an down when singing lower and higher,
had to move her head all the time so she would look like a goose while singing
that aria, just to amuse Mozart, giving all those facts, I simply cannot
imagine Mozart just did not know what he was doing.

I think Mozart wrote his tenor-aria's on purpose like he wrote them, to make it
very difficult, if not impossible, for tenors he did not want them to sing his
aria's, to perform his music. And for the Bildniß-aria, the tenor for whom it
was written, asked Mozart to put in many [i]'s and [e]'s, probably for the same
reason. Sometimes Mozart maybe went to far, like in 'Il mio tesoro', but you
also could say: he succeeded, depending on your point of view.

And finally: one should not forget, that in Mozart's times the 'Kammerton'
(key?, tunefrequency?) was lower and men were smaller.

Best greetings,

Dré

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10587 Re: a tenor who is grumpy with mozart Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  3/25/2001   5 KB

emusic.com