Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
"Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Sun Mar 25, 2001  9:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Modern Composers who DO understand the voice, IMHO

Hmm! Some of these I would not really class as modern anymore, although I'm
not trying to open some argument about where "modern" starts. Lets face,
something has always been modern. If we leave it to composers who have died
in the last 30 years (or are still alive, obviously) I would go with
Britten, Stravinsky, Tippett (maybe I'm singing different bits from others),
Kenneth Leighton, John Tavener, James MacMillan, Judith Weir, Jonathan Dove,
Olivier Messaien, and the list goes on. I think that more people really
find music technically difficult if they don't relate to the lyricism in it.
I remember some time ago that Karen M said she was learning Helen's music
from King Priam, and said that Tippett was music the "random note" approach
to composition (something along those lines). Would this make it
technically more difficult for the voice. Personally I have no problem
connecting with Achilles "Oh rich soiled land" from the same opera.
Technically I don't find it any more demanding than much 19th Century opera.
I wonder if the difficulty in the music is not faced up to by singers
stating that technically something is unsingable.

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK