Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Sat Mar 24, 2001  6:53 pm
Subject:  re: Modern composers who do and who don't understand the voice

Doris, in response to Isabelle:

>Well, since Barber and Bernstein died in the last century, I guess they're
>not modern composers, but certainly Samuel Barber understood the voice. He
>was a baritone among other things. (What were his other instruments ...
>piano, cello?) Then Leonard Bernstein did a lot of vocal coaching in his
>early days, did he not? I believe Menotti is vocal as is Rorem, and I
>believe they both work closely with singers. But Isabel is probably talking
>about the next generation and the next. Which category does Carlisle Floyd
>fall into? There has been a bit recently on the list about Messian. The
>little Messian I've sung is a great joy to sing. (Oh dear!! is he dead,
>too?) Who do you all assign to the group Isabel would consign to doing time
>in a voice studio? Who is voice friendly?

Oooooh, one of my favorite topics! It's all too easy to dismiss "modern"
music as unsingable; sometimes I wonder, though, if *some* singers do so
because it's easier than admitting that they either can't or won't *learn*
the music. I make NO accusations against any individual on this list; it's
merely an observation I've made in the singing world in general.

Leaving aside the issue of learning new music, which is sometimes quite
difficult, there are LOTS of 20 and 21st century composers who write or
wrote well for the voice, along with some who are justly beloved for their
musical ideas but who don't or didn't have as great an affinity for vocal
function.

From Doris's list above, I agree about Barber and Menotti and disagree
about Bernstein and Rorem. The latter two offer great musical ideas but I
find their music by and large quite difficult to sing. Admittedly, perhaps
in the case of Bernstein it's because he didn't really write anything for a
*light* lyric soprano (my voice type), at least nothing that I'm acquainted
with.

I agree with those who have mentioned John Musto, Judith Weir, Dominick
Argento, Richard Hundley, and Libby Larsen. I have also enjoyed singing
music by Lori Laitman, Yehudi Wyner, Howard Frazin, Dale McGowan, Tom
Cipullo, Kurt Weill, Robert Owens, Daron Hagen, Michael Ruszczynski,
William Walton, and many others. Some composers whose music surprised me
at how comfortable it was to sing (because of their reputations!): Arnold
Schoenberg, Milton Babbitt (hard as heck to learn, mind you but quite
sensitively written for the instrument), Elliott Carter, and Igor
Stravinsky. I'm looking forward to doing some music by Lowell Liebermann,
George Crumb and David Del Tredici as well...

Not everyone *has* to take an interest in new music, of course, but it
*can* benefit us to work alongside composers, telling them in a kindly way
how they can adjust things so we can realize their intentions and preserve
our vocal health. There's great music being written even as I type this,
and to paint it all in the same brush is as ludicrous as saying all
Classical music is as good as Mozart!

My personal soapbox!

Naomi

Please note: I've got a new e-mail address. From now on, please zap me at
omigurt@m... Thanks!
omigurt@m... Thanks!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10573 Re: Modern composers who do and who don't underst Isabelle Bracamonte   Sun  3/25/2001   4 KB
10575 Re: Modern composers who do and who don't underst thomas mark montgomery   Sun  3/25/2001   3 KB
10574 Re: Modern composers who do and who don't underst Greypins@a...   Sun  3/25/2001   4 KB
10578 "unsingable" music (long) Isabelle Bracamonte   Sun  3/25/2001   6 KB

emusic.com