Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  6:20 pm
Subject:  hour-glass passaggio concept

> In a finished voice, I think a singer is able to
> maneouver this way -- larger, "bigger" feelings below
> the passaggio, then a quite closed, narrow feeling
> through the passaggio, then opening again to let the
> big, ringing top notes fly out.

Thank you, Dr. Hanson and Isabelle, for your responses. If anyone is up
for it, I few more questions-

My instructor has told me that generally most people find it necessary to
close the vowels (around F or G above middle C for women, but varies
depending on the person) but that it isn't necessarily true for everyone.
He has told me that he thinks singers tend to adjust/modify much more than
necessary. (By the way, is "covering" the same thing as closing vowels
through the passaggio? My frame of reference from my own lessons is the
term "closing" and I want to make sure I am translating other terms in
vocalist postings correctly.) As for me, my instructor has said that he
doesn't think I need to worry about trying to close the vowel through the
passaggio because I appear to be clearing the passaggio without needing to
adjust in this manner. Does this sound reasonable for some people?

Also, can someone explain to me the difference between clearing the first
passaggio and the second? Is the tendency to close the vowels going
through both? Do you close more through one than the other? I don't think
I really understand the difference between the first and second passaggio.
As I see it right now, when I clear the first passaggio, I am making the
"switch" or transition to using different muscles because the cords can't
get any thinner. Is this correct understanding? If so, then what type of
transition or "switch" is occurring in the second passaggio? I do
understand the different muscles involved from reading, but I haven't
clearly translated that to what I am feeling yet. My instructor doesn't
talk in technical terms, so I am trying to bridge the gap between what
happens in lessons and the anatomy/pedagogy. My mind tends to think more
in terms of mechanics and less in terms of imagery. I am going to take a
pedagogy class in the fall, which should help. I have tried reading Miller
and Appleman, but I am fairly new at singing, but it can be difficult to
understand without having someone to answer questions, and I have to go
back and re-read several times as my experience base increases before I
understand.

Thanks again-

Sandra

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1063 Re: hour-glass passaggio concept Alain Zürcher   Sat  4/22/2000   2 KB
1064 Re: hour-glass passaggio concept Sandra   Sat  4/22/2000   4 KB

emusic.com