Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 23, 2001  4:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Karen's signature

In a message dated 3/23/01 7:52:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, thomas8@t...
writes:

<< Karen's signature is from the first half of his song Memories. I used to
use it as my theme song when I was host of an radio opera program during
my doctoral studies. I have since used it to open numerous opera excerpts
programs done for the public. Very accessible, especially for Ives!

Mark Montgomery >>

It's a great deal of fun to do in a recital. I did it in within a group of
Ives in our local library auditorium. I can't whistle, and you need to
whistle part of the melody with an octave range, no less. My collaborating
pianist is a stunning whistler and took that part, thank goodness!!! The
second half of the song drips with nostalgia, very sweet, actually. Ives can
get away with such melodrama! ... And it's nothing short of wonderful.

emusic.com