Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 22, 2001  8:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice

In a message dated 3/22/2001 1:16:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:
taylor23f@h... writes:

<< Castrati aside, the top part of the lower
register(chest-voice) is F4 (above mid C) for BOTH men and women.
Many voice teachers tend to think that the training of men and women
is different in some way. However, registrational events can be
applied to both sexes in exactly the same manner. >>

taylor,

although my own personal experience tells me that my F# 4 and above is a
different cookie from the rest, i would say the same goes for women at B 5
and above (although, i'd have to add that, in vocalizing, B 5 and above is a
different cup of fur for me as well. and i don't mean falsetto). so, i
would have to ask how you would define registers. do you think it is where
there is a change in the folds, a change in personal perception (that of the
singer), a change in the acoustical dynamics, all of the above? and, are
you speaking in terms of classical usage or, does this apply to the voice
regardless of usage (as in the use or 'misuse', if you prefer, for other
styles)?

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10499 Reply to Mike (Registers) taylor23f@h...   Thu  3/22/2001   3 KB
10501 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice stjames   Thu  3/22/2001   3 KB
10502 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice Axwell@a...   Fri  3/23/2001   2 KB

emusic.com