Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Wed Mar 21, 2001  2:03 am
Subject:  Why were castrati LOUD(ffffffffffffffffff)?

Tako wrote:

> I would think the "hearsay" argument works in both directions - how
do
> we know the castrati were *so* much louder than any other type of
> singer? The hearsay tends to focus on the castrati's incredible
> technique (the famous trumpet duel, descriptions of their florid
> cadenzi). One sees some speculation about their larger, uncalcified
> rib cages to explain breath capacity, but not too often about
> super-human power.
>
> So all else being equal, why would we assume castrati had unusually
> large voices? >

Tako and list,

Tako, I enjoyed your post very much- some excellent ideas. I
just want to add a few things from a pedagogical standpoint.

It is largely indisputable that during their time, the castrati
marked voice excellence of the highest order. You ask above, "how do
we know the castrati were *so* much louder than any other type of
singer?"

The answer to this question can be found in the effect castration
had on vocal registration. Following castration, the vocal registers
were conducive to the execution of the largest number of notes in the
"chest-register." And fairly often however, the full range of the
castrati was from A to high F, which means that from ten to thirteen
notes could be sung in the pure "chest-register." This fact has
serious implications when we consider that a capable female soprano
voice of the time could produce only HALF that number of "chest-
tones."

So, castration had it obvious advantages when one considers the
innate vitality and power behind the tones emmited by the chest-
register. The females singers of the time would often masquerade as
castrati- using male names and all! They knew that at the time the
female voice was much less desirable for operatic roles. So I guess
they figured, "If we can't beat em--join em!"

For further reading on the subject of castrati- pick up Rodolfo
Celletti's book, A History of Bel Canto.

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
DMA Candidate in Vocal Pedagogy
Louisiana State University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10462 Re: Why were castrati LOUD(ffffffffffffffffff)? Tako Oda   Wed  3/21/2001   4 KB
10463 Re: Why were castrati LOUD(ffffffffffffffffff)? velluti@c...   Wed  3/21/2001   3 KB
10487 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice taylor23f@h...   Thu  3/22/2001   4 KB
10488 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice velluti@c...   Thu  3/22/2001   3 KB
10494 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice Tako Oda   Thu  3/22/2001   4 KB
10546 Re: castrato's use of chest-voice - Modern hormon Tako Oda   Sat  3/24/2001   2 KB

emusic.com