Vocalist.org archive

From:  gsanders@b...
gsanders@b...
Date:  Wed Mar 21, 2001  12:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: amplifying the classically-trained voice

on 20/3/01 4:53 pm, Yvonne Dechance at ydechance@h... wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, amplification should be addressed as part
of technique, not regarded as the end of proper singing technique.

As far as I am concerned, amplification questions have no place anywhere in
any discussions of technique (Classical singers). I really don't understand
this thread. I have sung in rotten houses, and great houses. I sing with
the same technique. One thing I have noticed is that the bigger the house
the better the voice sounds! My voice at lest needs space to grow and warm.
You may say that I have never sung in the U.S. massive houses. Well I have
sung in Music Hall in Cincinnati (second largest space in the U.S.), and I
have sung in a 20,000 seat Roman amphitheater. Boy that was strange. You
finish a note and 1 1/2 seconds latter you hear the tone!!! Because of this
you feel like you are singing into a feather pillow. You have to trust that
you are being heard and don't try to fill the space, in other words don't
push.

Ciao,

Graham

Heldentenor
gsanders@b...
http://www.Heldentenor.theartzone.net
http://www.geocities.com/grahamsanders.geo

Tel: +49 (0)421 417-2349
Fax: +49 (0)421 417-2348 or (089) 2443 - 50310
Mobile: +49 (0)172 566-5754

emusic.com