Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  4:40 pm
Subject:  Pavarotti and hour-glass passaggio concept

> > you idea of what you think Pavarotti is describing
> when he talks about
> > "squeezing" through the passaggio

I've often heard the voice described as an hour glass
-- more open in the lower middle and above the staff,
but very narrow through the passaggio.

In a finished voice, I think a singer is able to
maneouver this way -- larger, "bigger" feelings below
the passaggio, then a quite closed, narrow feeling
through the passaggio, then opening again to let the
big, ringing top notes fly out.

Non-finished voices (such as my own) often have to
close/narrow refine-the-focus lighten (insert your own
terminology here) the lower middle voice also.

It's deceptively easy to let yourself sing big, fat,
open, full and luscious F's and G's, only to find that
your A's and B's have become thin and difficult. I
have to consciously close up (both in narrow-feeling
and by leaning into more closed resonating vowels, [i]
for [I] and so forth) my passaggio if I want my C's
and D's to be big and brilliant.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

1113 Re: Pavarotti and hour-glass passaggio concept John Alexander Blyth   Mon  4/24/2000   4 KB
1129 Re: Pavarotti and hour-glass passaggio concept Sandra   Mon  4/24/2000   2 KB

emusic.com