Vocalist.org archive

From:  gsanders@b...
gsanders@b...
Date:  Tue Mar 20, 2001  7:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Contraltos or Altos?

on 19/3/01 7:02 pm, Karen Mercedes at dalila@R... wrote:

Actually, I thought _fach_ was a subdivision of the REPERTOIRE, not of the
voice. It's a fact of life that any given voice is usually most suited to
one fach, or to 2-3 directly contiguous fachs. But voices don't fall into
_fachs_, repertoire does. Or do I have this arse-backward?

Well the real true is that it is a bit of both. However, the subdivision of
the voice came first, since it has been accepted that voices have different
qualities within the general voice label. The Germans than tried to cut the
rep. up so no singer would be forced to sing 1. too much, and 2. something,
which is really harmful. This is the reason why it is a good move to start
a German career one Fach more lyric and then when the voice is truly ready,
move down to the desired Fach.

Ciao,

Graham

Heldentenor
gsanders@b...
http://www.Heldentenor.theartzone.net
http://www.geocities.com/grahamsanders.geo

Tel: +49 (0)421 417-2349
Fax: +49 (0)421 417-2348 or (089) 2443 - 50310
Mobile: +49 (0)172 566-5754

emusic.com