Vocalist.org archive

From:  despina <despina@p...>
despina <despina@p...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  3:14 pm
Subject:  FWD: [vocalist] Freeing the lower back

Hi Ingo,

I find that if exercises that work in lessons don't work at home, that usually
means I'm not taking enough time with them in my practicing. So my first
advice is take a little more time with the exercises/visualizations you
already have.

Also, as a devoted yoga-phile, I would suggest checking out a yoga class, book
or video just to pick up some additional back exercises. There are some spinal
twists (not as scary as they sound!) in yoga which do *wonders* for the lower
back. I live by yoga classes, but I'm sure other vocalisters could recommend
books and/or videos if you want to go that route.

Hope this helps!

Rachel
despina@p...

>===== Original Message From vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com =====
I keep having a recurring problem in practicing at home -- my back
simply refuses to be free/relaxed and as a result I'm finding it hard
to support my voice properly. It usually takes my teacher less than 5
minutes to straighten me out at the beginning of my lesson, but I can't
seem to replicate what he does when I'm practicing at home.

He has given me a "visualisation sequence" which works well when he
takes me through it, but has little effect when I do it by myself.
I've noticed that my problem gets worse as the week goes on. My
lessons are generally on Saturday, and by Tuesday I am usually holding
quite firmly in my lower back. I realise that I'm holding a lot of my
tension in my back.

Can anyone suggest a stretching exercise, visualisation technique, etc.
which might help me? I'm finding that my lower back is pretty
important to producing my voice and I'd love to find a key to unlock my
back.

Cheers,
Ingo