Vocalist.org archive

From:  deliamay@h...
deliamay@h...
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  11:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] When and IF will it happen ?

I'm sure I once read in vocalist about a sound-proofed box made out
of a tennis-ball container or something surrounded by cotton wool
that embarrassed chicken singers could practise down but i can't seem
to find it again. Maybe it was in the old archives. Can anybody
remember this gadget ?

Delia

deliamay@h... wrote:

> > Dear Mike and to everyone who has responded to this poor fach-less
> > soprano. I tried this morning to make an exagerated Opera sound
and
> > was joined shortly after by a woman in the apartment below singing
> > neapolitan-style, a barking dog and was that the faint siren of a
> > police car……?
>
> I can relate. I remember when I used to live in a townhouse
> apartment, I would practice upstairs in the bedroom rather
> than downstairs with the living-room piano so as not to
> disturb the neighbors below and the neighbors nextdoor who
> might be dining or watching TV (I tried to do this no later
> than 8:00 pm). So I'm practicing in the bedroom, and make a
> siren sound as in my lesson. Before I started the next note,
> I heard the same sound back from next door. The little kid
> (4 or 5 years old) was imitating me! It was embarassing,
> and also funny. I figured he was learning good vocal
> technique, too, and kept right on practicing there.
>
> > I do feel a bit inhibited practising at home and this is probably
why
> > I am not making fast progress. Also I probably need a pushier
> > teacher - still, i can't really expect someone else to drag it
out of
> > me can I ?
>
> If you want your teacher to be more demanding of you, you
> should ask. Dialogues like that with teachers are good
> things. Just be specific as to what you mean by "pushier" -
> do you want to be pushed to memorize your words and music
> more quickly? Pushed to learn a greater quantity of music?
> Pushed to practice longer or better? Pushed to sing in
> public more?
>
> Peggy
>
> --
> Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA
> "Music for a While Shall All Your Cares Beguile"
> mailto:peggyh@i...
> mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com