Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  10:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Messiaen Songs- for dramatic sop

Cynthia Donnell wrote:

> Go to www.tisbook.com or another online book/music seller and search for
Poèmes pour Mi (1936) and Chants de terre et de ciel (1938). These are the
cycles of songs. With the titles you won't need the publishers. (My scores
are in my studio so I can't tell you the publishers.)
> Cindy Donnell

There's also the song cycle Harawi - I don't _think_ this is the same
piece, though I'm sure you'll put me straight if it is. It's for "grand
soprano dramatique et piano" (despite which, I did it myself very
successfully - I think - about 25 years ago), and is, I think, a
companion piece to the Turangalila Symphony. This stuff is
_tremendously_ exciting (in every way!). It uses all sorts of Indian
language and images of sex and death and eternity and ranges from tender
to terrifying and incredibly sensual. I bought a recording last year
which I was really quite disappointed in; the singer was so unmemorable
that I've even forgotten her name (Jane Something? definitely not
Manning, though, this was a recent recording). Both singer and pianist
have to be quite athletic (another reason why I couldn't possibly do it
now)

I think the publisher is Durand; my score is at the bottom of a box
somewhere, three months after moving house!

cheers,

Linda

emusic.com