Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  6:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] miking/enhancing in opera?

In a message dated 3/19/01 12:02:06 AM, ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< I'm not suggesting that a 20-year-old needs to be
singing in a 3000-seat arena with a 100-piece
orchestra. But micophones necessarily teach students
to back off of ring and instead emphasize fullness,
warmth, expressive coloring, tone manipulation that
uses inadequate breath control -- recording tricks, in
short. This does not teach the most important
building block in the process of training a voice for
an operatic career -- to wit, how to produce a
healthy, sustainable tone that will cut through an
orchestra. >>

Does anyone have that old posting about miking only at certain hertz levels
in order to make diction sound clearer and not just amplifying volume?
Singers who used that system did not back off. at all.

Isabelle...some of the young singers I have heard in conservatory settings
who sing opera roles there have that "ring" in their voices on most pitches,
but not all voices are totally even at tender ages of 20 and 21...or 30 or
31! ... thus not all have ring all the way through on all vowels. They are
still learning and the voice is still developing. Yes...the voice will
grow...I have listened to my own daughter's voice become clearer and bigger
and higher throughout the years of her undergraduate studies. I have no
doubts that she still has further to go. She will sing her opera role this
spring without amplification, but she is fortunate to have a hall in which
this can be done easily. In the case of her school, the singers who usually
get the roles are grad students...wonder why? It is because their voices are
better developed by that time...thus easier and clearer to be heard over
orchestras. Just my own observations.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10412 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  3/19/2001   4 KB

emusic.com