Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tenore Lirico <tenorelirico@e...>
Tenore Lirico <tenorelirico@e...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  5:29 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors?

Let me ask you: Are you that rock and roll guy that was here a little
while ago? Are you thinking of making a quick career out of this?

LOL... quick was never the thought. I have been taking lessons for years now,
though to my ignorance I used/abused the knowledge to help me create a better
rock sound. The ideal that I had does not seem to be something that will ever be
realized. It seems that most progressive metal players need a singer who will
give a "progressive metal" sound. Though a studio is a fun place to create
different vocal sounds, it was far less satisfying than I had thought it would
be. My original inspiration was to take some of the dynamic beauty of the
classical sound and work that expressive power into the popular medium (the
sound landscapes that can be created today are incredible). Though that is not
what recording projects seem to want. In the past few months I have been asked
numerous times to record aggressive vocals (the in style of the moment) because
of the previous material I had recorded, but that stuff is an anomaly. If I had
known that those were to be the styles on the cd I would have passed.
The training has not been for naught. The first piece I have been working on
with my new teacher has a few G's in it. The top is coming in. The new piece I'm
working on is out of Cosi and has a number of A's in it (which are fine). The
hardest part is not oversinging (that was needed in the rock styles for live
shows), but there's no beauty in belting.

T.L.