Vocalist.org archive

From:  richardnpam@c...
richardnpam@c...
Date:  Sun Mar 18, 2001  8:19 pm
Subject:  Re: sorry

Hi Stephanie,

I am also new to e-mail lists so I can sympathize.

I am a doctoral student at LSU in vocal ped. and I think I might have
an answer to your question. Without getting too technical, I will
try to explain what is going on. Many young ladies and some young men
(mostly tenors)come to my studio with a voice that is very light and
sweet sounding. They often can sing high but not low. By low, I
mean below middle C. Most of these students have been singing in
what is called head voice since they learned how to sing. For women
this is common because when a girl's voice changes, the change is
much less dramatic than in boys so they continue to sing the way they
always have.

With these students, I generally spend a lot of time building
strength in the lower part of their voice. I would venture to guess
that your voice teacher is doing the same thing. When the teacher
does this, It is like pulling the rug out from under the student's
voice, and for a time, they loose the top part of their range.
However, dont fear. With time and appropriate guidance from your
teacher, the top part will come back with a vengence! It will be
fuller (grammer?), richer, and you will have more control over
dynamic shadings. If you would like more information on this you can
write back to me or read "Bel Canto: Principles and Practice" by
Cornelius Reid. Some of the book can be a little confusing so if you
have any questions about the book, you can write to me about that as
well.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Keeping the Faith
Richard Stevenson

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Stephanie Franklin <vocalist-temporary@y..., Stephanie Franklin < > I sincerely am sorry because I didn't change the subject.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> The joy of the Lord Jesus Christ is my strength,
> I will rejoice in him always,
> for he is my fortress and rock
> and I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

emusic.com