Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Mar 17, 2001  11:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] miking/enhancing in opera?

In a message dated 3/17/01 1:33:54 PM, peggyh@i... writes:

<< How do they
learn how to sing properly and use good technique under
difficult circumstances if the school they are trusting to
teach them properly, is not only condoning but even
encouraging a crutch that they won't (or shouldn't) have in
the real world?

Do the audiences know how they and the students are being
cheated? Why are the students not performing in a smaller
space with a smaller orchestra commensurate with the
singers' capabilities? If the singers aren't capable of
singing in a large hall with an orchestra, why is the school
presenting full opera productions, rather than scenes in a
large classroom setting with piano accompaniment? Or are
college music programs becoming the same as big-time college
athletic programs - not there for the purpose of learning
but to bring in the paying customers and impress the alumni
and parents? >>

Similar thoughts occurred to me, but I did not have time to post them.

BTW, did anyone catch the Today Show segment the other day about the "tenor
with attitude?" Apparently Decca has just signed this kid with a year and a
half of coaching--apparently not actual voice lessons-- under his belt. They
quoted his "coach" as saying "I have no idea how he does it." That sounds
awfully scary to me.

The young man has an attractive timbre, but if can't he sing without a
MICROPHONE, why is he performing Nessun dorma with orchestra?

Judy

emusic.com