Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Mar 17, 2001  8:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Youth Choir

Lisa Miller wrote:

> I have been approached about beginning a Youth Choir in my area (SW
> Indiana). Anyone out there who has been involved in the startup of such a
> project that has insights for me would be greatly appreciated. On Monday I
> have a meeting with the Coordinator of the Gifted & Talented Program (the
> person who asked me) to discuss ideas. I have never directed any kind of
> "kids" program. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last year at the church where I sing, the director attempted
to start a children's choir, including free private music
lessons as a carrot. There were many parents/children who
expressed interest at the outset. But in the end it didn't
succeed in terms of the number of participants. A big
barrier was transportation for the children, what with both
parents working in this area. The director felt that
support for transportation for the children, whether
subsidizing cab fare, or organizing car pools, would have
been very helpful.

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com