Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Sat Mar 17, 2001  7:09 pm
Subject:  Re: Labels

thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...> wrote:
> All countertenors are lyric and calling anyone "medium" anything is
> exactly what makes vocal labels seem silly. "Medium" smacks of ego,
> not vocal quality.

I don't think I'm the first person who has informally sub-classified
lyrics as 'light', 'medium', 'full', 'lyrico-spinto'.

> When countertenors can sing Santuzza, Eboli, Erda and Dalila,
> then we'll begin to call them dramatic.

Wow, are you mad at me for some reason? I feel like you're reading
the first few sentences and then railing on me. I specifically said
later in that message that there are not enough 'dramatic' sized CT
out there to bother considering that as an official category. (You
did that earlier today re: choral alto castrati).

Besides, to a large extent, existing voice size may be partly
depended on demand. CT get most of their work doing choral and early
music work, where a 'dramatic' sized voice and vibrato would be
career-death. The few CTs I know of that edge toward spinto-land sang
with la gran scena, a drag opera company, probably the only place in
the world before 1996 large voiced CTs had any purpose in life. Maybe
if composers wrote the rep, more larger CTs would come out of the
woodwork.

> And as to soprano falsettists, are these people singing high Bb
> and C? I haven't heard any.

Randall Wong (D6), Aris Cristofellis (F6), Arno Raunig, Terence
Barber (just off the top of my head), and many, many more specialize
in soprano rep. I've even heard plain old David Daniels do a Bb.
Before my voice broke at age 22, I had a Eb6 myself. Here's a site
that lists a bunch of male sops:

http://www.mpae.gwdg.de/~kopp/disc/index.html

I understand you are skeptical, but I'm feeling a little hurt you are
so quick to negate what I say. You are hurting the reputation of a
wonderful group of singers without complete information.

I know you are getting tired of this topic, as am I, but I can't sit
on my bottom watching all these negative, (and sometimes untrue)
things being said in a public forum, without jumping in the defend my
own voice type. I am a working CT, and have studied at UC Berkeley,
one of the early music scholarly centers in the world - I do know
something about the history of CTs and castrati.

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10359 Re: Labels velluti@c...   Sat  3/17/2001   2 KB

emusic.com