Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Sat Mar 17, 2001  7:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] NATS competition yesterday

Margaret Harrison wrote:

>Sometimes it's the student who
>refuses to change, who insists that the student's way is the
>right way, who won't try something different, just to
>experiment and see what happens. Not that anyone here is
>like that,

You're speaking tongue-cheek, I presume? I cetainly find myself in
such a frame of mind from time to time.

>but I have known singers like that, and this
>resistance causes the student never to progress vocally.

In such a case the teacher has to be very skillful. The Feldenkrais
Method approaches this issue by not viewing lessons as a rehearsal of
correct action but rather as an systematic exploration of options.
When I feel resitant to a tacher's instructions it is often because I
feel as thought I am being rehearsed in an action which the teacher
believes to be correct but I don't. As soon as I can view the
instruction as the exploration of an option, rather than as the right
way, I am open to following the instruction.

>That's why I think it's a good idea for students with doubts
>always to raise them with the teacher, and ask WHY. Don't
>take conclusory pronouncements for granted, but explore as
>to the reasoning. If done in an inquiring rather than a
>challenging manner, I can't imagine anybody would be
>offended by the questions and be unwilling to explain and
>perhaps correct whatever misunderstanding that may exist.

I suspect there are plenty of teachers who would be upset by such
questions. If a teacher responds less than openly to such questions,
you know what you're dealing with.

John Link

"Live at Saint Peter's" CD for half-price thru 3/22
Get it for $7.50 at http://www.earbuzz.com/JohnLink

emusic.com