Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Sat Mar 17, 2001  5:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Contraltos or Altos?

In a message dated 3/16/01 11:38:42 PM, bandb@n... writes:

<< If a boy soprano is an alto, then a mezzo soprano is NOT.

If a mezzo soprano is the same as a female tenor, then I assume that would
logically lead to a CT being described as a male mezzo soprano, but not
an alto, because that's a boy soprano. >>

Alto is a choral part designation, not a fach. It has been used only to
describe solo voices by those who did not use more specific language. I can
ask sopranos to sing the alto part, but it does not make them either mezzos
nor contraltos -- they are still sopranos. Alto section members (mostly
female in my choir) often double the first tenor, but it does not make them
tenors.

Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com