Vocalist.org archive

From:  LikeSoMuchFish@a...
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  2:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Low Voices Belting? (was "Men...")

In a message dated 4/21/00 9:47:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LJones@s... writes:

> I've often wondered if there isn't some correlation with female
> voices, or at least for mine. Sopranos I've know are more likely to be
able
> to produce a belt sound, but it seems to be much more difficult for most
low
> mezzos or contraltos, like myself. I gave up the notion long ago that belt
> was *entirely* a matter of carrying chest voice up, but that seems to be
> part of the equation (thus tenors being able to belt, since the transition
> from chest to head happens higher for them). I have over an octave of
"pure
> chest" voice, but it's primarily middle C and below. While I can produce a
> "mixed" sound above that, it's a very "classical" sound. Any thoughts?

I have found just the opposite--That it is the mezzos and alto's who find it
easier to belt.
Belting is not chest singing. I learned that lesson through experience. I
believe proper belting range is between middle C and the C above.
Although,pop belters tend to go higher(whether or not thats healthy ,I do not
know).
I think there is a lot of confusion of what belting is. It is a sustained
calling voice. A speech giving voice.Within the belting range I have learned
to produce a pure belt. I also have a classical voice within the same range.
(Although I must admit finding the "belt"sound was and still is like learning
to write with my left hand.)

I think a good example of pure belting(sounds healthy too) can be found in
Broadway pop singer Linda Eder.
Samples of her singing can be found at Amazon:
Linda Eder
emusic.com