Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Fri Mar 16, 2001  10:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] nodes?

Sorry it took so long...it's been quite a week.

What you describe does not sound like nodes. It probably is not in your
larynx at all. It sounds more like throat muscles. Depending on whether it
is increasing or not, you may able to try gargling, increasing fluids, using
a soothing lozenge. If you have postnasal drainage, that may be the issue.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

> For the good doctors on the list, and others who have had the
> experience - how can you tell if you have nodes? I have had a
> scratchiess in my voice for the last few weeks. It is
> consistently limited to a certain range of my speaking voice, and it
> doesn't show up at all in my singing voice. I have no pain or
> tightness of throat, I'm not sick or coughing, I just have this
> scratchy voice when I speak at a certain pitch. It doesn't vary with
> weather or air quality or tiredness, it is just always there.

emusic.com