Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Fri Mar 16, 2001  10:09 pm
Subject:  Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors?

<<--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Tenore Lirico <vocalist-temporary@y..., Tenore Lirico < bigger voices, would a Mozart tenor have a chance? >>

The tenore leggiero fach is generally not as overpopulated as, say,
that of the lyric soprano, but more so than the dramatic types. Of
course, Mozart is performed in virtually every opera house in the
world, so there is no shortage there.

Let me ask you: Are you that rock and roll guy that was here a little
while ago? Are you thinking of making a quick career out of this?

I may be reading between the lines here, but if you're thinking of
going into the classical singing business, let me tell you that it is a
fantastically difficult way to make a living, perhaps one of the most
difficult things anybody could do in life. You won't be a star, you'll
be lucky if you even earn enough from singing to scrape by (which will
still take 5-10 years to happen). Virtually nobody who begins voice
study ends up with a professional career (less than 1 percent). Your
teachers won't tell you this because a) they have a vested interest in
keeping you coming back for more lessons and getting more degrees, b)
many of them haven't had professional performing careers themselves, so
they don't really even know what's involved, and c) if they ever did
have any professional experience, it may have been so long ago or on
such a small scale that they are out of touch with today's market.
Maybe what you should be asking is "does anybody have a chance?" I'm
not being pessimistic, just realistic.

On the flip side, if you're talented (who isn't these days?),
determined, and lucky, you can work very hard and possibly carve out
something resembling a career for yourself. There's a market for every
voice type, but a career won't happen just *because* of your voice type
(not even for heldentenors!).

Good luck!
-John

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10400 Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors John Alexander Blyth   Mon  3/19/2001   4 KB
10418 Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors Karen Mercedes   Mon  3/19/2001   3 KB
10419 Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors sjdr9523@y...   Mon  3/19/2001   3 KB
10447 Singing graduates making a living, was: is there John Alexander Blyth   Tue  3/20/2001   6 KB
15655 Aspects of love Jennifer   Mon  12/3/2001   3 KB
15657 Re: Aspects of love Deal Diva Laura   Mon  12/3/2001   3 KB
15681 Re: Aspects of love Karen Mercedes   Mon  12/3/2001   10 KB
15699 Re: Aspects of love arado_ge@y...   Tue  12/4/2001   2 KB
15714 Re: Aspects of love Nande   Tue  12/4/2001   3 KB

emusic.com