Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Mar 15, 2001  7:01 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Gay? Re: What's a countertenor?

Reg Boyle <bandb@n...> wrote:
> My objection on behalf of any casual opera goer was to the
> poaching of the name TENOR as a means of remedying that
> lamentation.

I don't remember ever poaching the word tenor. The word countertenor
comes from "against the held line", from early polyphony. Tenor and
countertenor are both just functional names that evolved in voice
parts.

> Yes I was using as an example, the fact that the
> word GAY had been purloined to add a bit of respectability to the
> image of the homosexual community and I make no apology for
> having done so.

This, IMO was not clear at all. On the internet, it is helpful to
spell things out for wee-brained folk like me.

> I am laughing.

So glad to hear that you are gay! :-)

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10305 For those who've not had enough countertenor blat thomas mark montgomery   Fri  3/16/2001   3 KB
10307 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor gsanders@b...   Fri  3/16/2001   3 KB
10310 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Karen Mercedes   Fri  3/16/2001   2 KB
10319 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Tako Oda   Sat  3/17/2001   3 KB
10366 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Tako Oda   Sun  3/18/2001   3 KB
10367 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Reg Boyle   Sun  3/18/2001   2 KB

emusic.com