Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Thu Mar 15, 2001  4:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: What's a countertenor?

Tako Oda wrote:
> There is a paper by G Ardran and D.
> Wulstan from 1967 which filmed a variety of "falsettos" and determined
> that all varieties of countertenors are using the same technique above
> 440Hz. I wish they had some castrati on hand! :-)

Wow, a blast from the past! David Wulstan was my harmony'n'counterpoint
tutor in Oxford at that stage. I remember him showing me some photos
from that paper during a tutorial when I obviously hadn't produced
enough written work to keep him busy. I blush to say I didn't understand
a word he was telling me abut them, at the time. Did know James Bowman,
though, he was one of the people filmed, as David W showed me his
initials on one of the pictures and said "there are no names, but you'll
know who this is".

Oxford was swimming in young, often fluffy countertenors, because of all
the chapel choirs which in those days weren't often mixed. I don't think
any of them were castrati ;) (in fact I can probably vouch for a couple
of them) (hearsay, of course) though there were a couple of baritones I
could cheerfully have gelded... pity it would have been at too late a
stage for Dr Wulstan's research...

cheers

Linda

emusic.com