Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Mar 15, 2001  5:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Gay? Re: What's a countertenor?

At 09:49 PM 14-03-01 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 3/14/2001 5:39:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>bandb@n... writes:
>
><< For a male soprano to advertise himself as a tenor suggests to me
> a conscious or subconscious desire to delude the public.
> It also, is called dishonesty. Reg. >>
>
>reg,
>
> if you are still going to concerts given by counter-tenors and being
>surprised that they are male sopranos and not tenors,

Mike why should you presume I was referring to myself?
The discussion I responded to was lamenting the fact that
internationally the CT was saddled with a description which
included the term FALSE in falsetto.

My objection on behalf of any casual opera goer was to the
poaching of the name TENOR as a means of remedying that
lamentation. Yes I was using as an example, the fact that the
word GAY had been purloined to add a bit of respectability to the
image of the homosexual community and I make no apology for
having done so. Do all you guys have such a restricted
imagination that it's impossible for you to extrapolate beyond the
bloody obvious? I am laughing. Reg

"One must have loved a woman of genius
to comprehend the happiness of loving a fool."

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10277 Gay? Re: What's a countertenor? Tako Oda   Thu  3/15/2001   2 KB
10305 For those who've not had enough countertenor blat thomas mark montgomery   Fri  3/16/2001   3 KB
10307 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor gsanders@b...   Fri  3/16/2001   3 KB
10310 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Karen Mercedes   Fri  3/16/2001   2 KB
10319 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Tako Oda   Sat  3/17/2001   3 KB
10366 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Tako Oda   Sun  3/18/2001   3 KB
10367 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Reg Boyle   Sun  3/18/2001   2 KB

emusic.com