Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Mar 15, 2001  4:10 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Gay? Re: What's a countertenor?

Reg Boyle <bandb@n...> wrote:
> I thought it was well understood Tako that for hundreds
> of years GAY, did NOT mean homosexual, but apparently you didn't
> know this or you've choose to feign ignorance of the fact.
>
> For a male soprano to advertise himself as a tenor suggests to me
> a conscious or subconscious desire to delude the public.
> It also, is called dishonesty.

Dear Reg,

I'm really not trying to be thick - Sorry I didn't understand your
point in bringing up the word gay. I didn't understand you meant it as
an example of a word that has evolved, as the words tenor and
countertenor have (although of course I knew that gay used to be just
a happy word)

But I'm still confused - Did you think I was suggesting a male soprano
bill himself as a tenor? I would never bill myself a tenor unless I
was singing "Olim lacus." I sense you are getting a little annoyed at
my foggy brained-ness, and really wish to understand what you're
trying to get across... The only word I would like to send back to the
shop is falsetto, for obvious reasons.

Tako

emusic.com