Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Martti Savijoki" <marty@m...>
"Martti Savijoki" <marty@m...>
Date:  Wed Mar 14, 2001  1:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] David Daniels speaks on the CT voice/Was it falsetto?

It's been my experience that now that I'm using my head voice more,
my falsetto is getting worse. I have a terrible crack in the C5-D5-
area which sounds very much the same as my voice used to do in my
normal voice's passaggio zone earlier. And still, the falsetto
singing, which used to be as easy thing for me as talking is now
feeling quite unnatural and forced. Feels like my cords are now used
to doing that head voice stuff.

Martti Savijoki

> Hmm, this rings a bell. In my pre-tenor days as a choral baritone,
I was
> often called upon to cover alto. I definitely considered myself a
> falsettist in this role, although my falsetto was quite powerful,
had
> vibrato, and I had dynamics (so maybe not what Tako would call true
> falsetto). This mechanism really interfered when I made the switch
> tenor. I found that if I ever "cheated" on a piano note above the
> passaggio, then I subsequently found it far more difficult to sing
the same
> note in true head voice (or even mix). Now I try to avoid this
falsetto
> mechanism like mad, otherwise it still creates real problems for me.
>
> Colin Reed, tenor
> Newark, UK

emusic.com