Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  6:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing mechanisms

Colin Reed wrote:

>Just to clarify, I had no problems when I was singing in two different
>ranges. The difficulty would come if I had to sing the same range in the
>different mechanism. ie if I sang a phrase from say middle C to the G above
>in falsetto, I could then not do the same phrase in head voice. I could do
>it easily an octave down in chest, however.

I would suggest that to improve one's singing one sing simple phrases
alternating between falsetto and head voice (or whatever you want to
call them!). If you find that you can't do it, then shorten the
phrase, maybe to a single note. Surely there is a single note for
which you have a choice between mechanisms. Sing the single note
simply and easily, without ambition. As the alternation becomes
easier, start to increase the length of the phrase one note at a
time. By doing thie experimentation I suspect that you will improve
your use of both mechanisms as you reduce the compulsiveness of their
use.

Good luck,
John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais