Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  11:55 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] miking/enhancing in opera?

when the opera houses started getting larger (the met in '66 wasn't
it?), the volume requirement for opera singers changed for the worst. along
came hectoring and bellowing and a ridiculous obsession for giant voices
rather than great singers.

to require a singer to be heard over a baroque orchestra or a mozart
opera in a small hall is to take the voice out of its normal expressive
range. the result being a conscious exageration. but to require a singer
to be heard over a wagnerian orchestra in a huge hall designed primarily for
accomodating as many paying fannies as one could get away with, is to make
being heard the essential goal of the singer.
"I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!" "WHAT DID YOU SAY, DEAR?" "I
SAID...oh, nevermind"

the experience of listening to an opera on a recording is very different
from hearing an opera live. it is obvious that a greater range of
expression is available to the singer on a recording than is available to
that singer in the opera barn. if you like the effect of limitations put on
the singer by having to be heard in these conditions, congratulations, this
is a golden era for you. but, if you find that the greater and greater
priority for being heard to be causing a distortion of opera, making it
something the composers of the past did not intend, you must either push for
a return to appropriate venues or put up with miking.

mike (no pun intended)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10233 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Nancy Fontana   Tue  3/13/2001   4 KB

emusic.com