Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  3:13 am
Subject:  [vocalist] uncomfortable vs. non-habitual

Leslie Jones wrote:

>One of the challenges we face as singers and as teachers is trying to
>distinguish between a sensation that's "uncomfortable" simply because it's
>different from what we've experienced before and something that
>"uncomfortable" as in discomfort/pain. Part of our technical training as
>singers is learning to listen both to our heads and to our instincts.

In all learning it is important to distinguish between physical
discomfort and the unfamiliarity of the non-habitual. In my Awareness
Through Movement classes I tell my students to go slowly and do
enough repetitions of non-habitual movements so that some of the
novelty wears off. It is necessary for the non-habitual movements to
become somewhat familiar before they can be evaluated as to their
effectiveness for carrying out some intention. And in making such
explorations I urge my students over and over again to carry out my
instructions according to their own comfort. By attending to their
comfort they learn to distinguish between the uncomfortable and the
non-habitual.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet