Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  6:41 pm
Subject:  The term countertenor WAS: Countertenor hogs

gsanders@b...

> on 10/3/01 12:19 am, Tako Oda at toda@m... wrote:
> Sigh... this is a tough one. The term countertenor was coined by
> Michael Tippett and Alfred Deller. Until then, we were just called
> "altos" or "falsettists".
>
> Not completely true. The term countertenor comes from medieval music. In 3
> part vocal music the voice parts were assigned to countertenor bassus, tenor
> and countertenor altus. Alfred Deller probably used the term to make a
> break between the altos in the cathederal choirs and a true solo voice.

Sorry I was vague about that. Yes, there are even mentions of Handel
referring to intact solo male altos as countertenors. In the absence of a
solo male alto tradition in the European classical music, however, the term
fell out of use. Deller was the first prominent one in a long, long time.
That is why he and Tippett deliberated on what to call this new (old) kind
of soloist to distinguish it from female altos. As proper Englishmen, they
of course drew upon their nation's history for a good name for this
forgotten voice type.

Tako

emusic.com