Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  4:50 pm
Subject:  miking/enhancing in opera?

Quoting from another post:

> And on a similar subject, the Alagnas were involved
> recently in a contract cancellation dispute,
> allegedly because the opera house refused to use
> some sort of voice enhancing equipment that the
> Alagnas use regularly all over the world.

Okay, does anybody know the answer to these rumors of
secret miking? I have heard from good authority
(singers in the San Francisco opera chorus) that SF
uses an elaborate system of "enhancing" their stars.
SF administration vigorously denies that any miking
system is used. I have heard the same thing at the
Met -- aside from the charges that Kathleen Battle and
Cecilia Bartoli were miked as part of their contracts
(their voices being too small to carry naturally), the
idea that a system of "enhancement" is used more
generally. Everybody knows about NYCO's public use of
miking -- but is it true that the other houses use
secret miking systems as well?

The European company who loaned NYCO their equipment
have been quoted making cryptic comments about how
this isn't the first big opera company to use their
systems, just the first big one to admit it.

Does anybody really know the answer to this, or have
any other information? It's been driving me crazy,
since different authorities say different things.
Sometimes I've gone to see something at SF or the Met
and sworn they were miking the soprano, for instance
-- then the next night, same seat, same singer, it
sounds totally different and not miked. I'm baffled.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...
ibracamonte@y...

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10171 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? John Link   Mon  3/12/2001   2 KB
10177 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? kjensen@c...   Mon  3/12/2001   3 KB
10183 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Barry Bounous   Mon  3/12/2001   2 KB
10190 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  3/12/2001   2 KB
10205 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? gsanders@b...   Tue  3/13/2001   2 KB
10192 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Barry Bounous   Mon  3/12/2001   2 KB
10196 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Elizabeth Finkler   Tue  3/13/2001   3 KB
10207 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Greypins@a...   Tue  3/13/2001   3 KB
10233 Re: miking/enhancing in opera? Nancy Fontana   Tue  3/13/2001   4 KB

emusic.com