Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Sun Mar 11, 2001  8:18 pm
Subject:  NATS competition yesterday

Dear Listers,

I had an interesting experience yesterday as I judged a NATS
competition for the first time. It was a last minute decision by
Steve Austin(who was very ill)to ask me to judge in his place. I was
honored that he asked me and glad to allow him some needed rest time.

The students I heard were all males from ages 17-22. I heard
several excellent young baritiones with tons of potential. For the
most part they all sang with a pretty stable laryngeal postion and
good vowels. This was great to hear from young voices- and says that
there is some fine teaching going on around here.

One of the contestants did however surprise me. He was a young man
(I think 18)who announced that he was going to sing "Che faro." So,
I thought great, he'll sing it in the regular key an octave lower
like Tito Schipa used to. Well, when he started the aria on e
natural I knew he would be singing it as a countertenor-and I became
excited at this prospect.

Well lets just say that he sang MANY wrong notes(often way out of
the key) and had a pronounced wobble which got worse as he added
intensity and pitch. By the time he was done I still had not started
writing because I didn't know WHERE to start. I was concerned for
the vocal health of this boy. When he bid us goodbye he could barely
phonate the words and was extremely raspy.

I wrote on his comment sheet that he should train his 'natural'
range first- before moving into countertenor rep. And that in order
to be a countertenor musical skills must be exceptional. In the most
diplomatic way possible I wrote that his top voice was unsteady and
unhealty. Each of us who judged this guy gave him a rather low grade
and told him that the technique needed much improvement.

As I said, I heard many fine voices. But, since yesterday I have
not been able to get this countertenor-gone-wrong out of my head.
He's probably just following his teacher's instruction, trying to be
a good student. I'm sure we've all be in these situations before.
If so- please share.

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
Doctoral Candidate in Vocal Pedagogy
Louisiana State University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10162 Re: NATS competition yesterday Imthurn Melinda   Mon  3/12/2001   5 KB
10169 Re: NATS competition yesterday John Link   Mon  3/12/2001   2 KB
10191 Re: NATS competition yesterday Leslie Jones   Mon  3/12/2001   3 KB
10198 uncomfortable vs. non-habitual John Link   Tue  3/13/2001   3 KB
10344 Re: NATS competition yesterday Margaret Harrison   Sat  3/17/2001   4 KB
10349 Re: NATS competition yesterday John Link   Sat  3/17/2001   3 KB

emusic.com