Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Mar 10, 2001  6:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Countertenor hogs (was: silence of the lambs (errr... list))

John Link wrote:

> So, according to your previous post, I would conclude that you think
> he doesn't use falsetto. It is my impresion that he does, because
> when I sing along with a CD of his he and I don't sound all that
> differrent (I mean that it seems like we're using our voices the same
> way).

That's the difference between hearing a singer in person and
on a recording. In person, it's a very big sound. It
doesn't sound in the least like falsetto. I've heard him in
recital, and I also heard him sing Nerone to Mary Mills'
Poppea at Dade County Auditorium, and his sound was right
there with hers in presence and volume and ability to shade
dynamics. And she sings BIG roles (I heard her in Carlisle
Floyd's Susanna in Washington a few seasons back, and she
had no problem being heard over a very thick orchestration.)

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com